Friday, November 6, 2015

Michael's Memory Boxes for Stillborns



Each year around Michael's birthday we like to do something special for the families in our local hospital who have also lost a baby. We've done things like blankets, beanies, burial outfits and more blankets! This year we have thought long and hard and decided on making memory boxes for stillborns (and also baby's who pass soon after birth).

When we lost Michael, the hospital presented us with a beautiful box full of things that would help remind us of our son. It contained pictures that the nurse had taken of our sweet boy, hand and foot molds, a stuffed bear (that was his exact same size!) and other items that we treasure. I remember being so touched and thinking about the family who had donated the supplies to make such a sweet and tender memory box. They certainly knew the comfort it would bring to us, probably because they had been through a similar experience themselves.

I cannot tell you what comfort these boxes will bring to these families for years to come! One of my kids' favorite things to do is go through Michael's box. They ask questions and ooh and ahh over the cuteness of how tiny his hands and feet were. It brings me so much joy to know that he is real to them even though they never had the chance to meet him.

We priced out the boxes and were excited to be able to purchase a handful of them on our own to deliver on Michael's birthday. But then we had a thought and wondered if there were others who would like to contribute. We know we are not alone in our loss and know so many of you who read this blog have had similar losses of your own (or are close to someone who has). If you would like to contribute in helping us purchase and donate these boxes, we would love it and I KNOW the families will love you for it.

To donate just CLICK HERE. I will also have a link on the sidebar of my blog for the next few weeks. Every and any amount is helpful. We are so excited for this and will be sure to keep everyone up to date with the progress.

Thank you to all of you who have shown us such love and support. You will forever be dear to us!

1 comment:

  1. Hilary, I just saw your Nov entry in your blog about your fundraiser. Is it over? I'm sorry to have missed it. I read your story about Michael. It touched my heart and brought up feelings that I thought were gone. I guess the love for your child is never gone, though the hurt does dim as the Lord fills the holes and lessens the losses through His tender mercies. Please let me know next time and I will help as I am able. Sincerely, Kimberly Hanna

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs