Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Mini Batch of Sugar Cookies (with best cream cheese frosting ever!)


Little Guy loves making sugar cookies. I'm pretty sure it's on the list of his top 5 favorite things to do along with go to Disneyland and open presents on Christmas morning. Seriously, that's how much he loves it. I wish I could make the sugar cookie thing happen more often but I have developed a strong aversion to the activity. Mostly due to the fact that it is so tedious and takes FOREVER and makes a gargantuan mess in my kitchen.

Think about it. First you have to make the dough, then roll the dough, then cut the dough, then cook the dough, then let the cookie cool, then make the frosting, then spread the frosting, then decorate on top of the frosting and the only part I really enjoy is eating the cookie. The biggest problem is when we are left with dozens of cookies on the countertop and I have zero self control to avoid popping them in my mouth one giant bite at a time.

The other day Little Guy really wanted to make Halloween sugar cookies. It was cold and rainy out so the boredom was settling in. The only cookie cutters I own are Halloween themed so I knew I didn't have much of an excuse not to. I REALLY didn't want to spend hours making them though, so I got on the google and found a recipe for a small batch of sugar cookies! Hallelujah! The best part? It was actually really yummy! The sour cream makes them moist and soft, which isn't what I was expecting from such a small batch. Plus they only made about 12 medium sized cookies which meant it didn't take long at all and we didn't have a ton leftover. That's a win/win situation in my book.

It made these kiddos super happy. See for yourself:




Mini Batch of Sugar Cookies

INGREDIENTS:

1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 egg yolk from a large egg
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp sour cream
1 cup flour
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt

INSTRUCTIONS:

Cream sugar and butter together in a mixing bowl. Add egg yolk and vanilla extract and mix until everything is well-blended. Add sour cream and mix again. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Mix everything together until it is all incorporated and creates round crumbs.

Once the crumbs are formed use your hands to squish the dough into a ball. Roll the ball of dough between two pieces of wax paper until desired thickness is achieved. Use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes and place them on a cookie sheet.

Bake at 350* for 6 minutes, then rotate your cookie sheet and cook for an additional 3 minutes.

Let cool and decorate with best cream cheese frosting ever!

Best Cream Cheese Frosting Ever

INGREDIENTS:

8 oz. cream cheese (not rock solid, but you can use it right of out the fridge!)
5 Tbs. softened butter
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar

INSTRUCTIONS:

Beat cream cheese, softened butter and vanilla together in a bowl until combined. Gradually add powdered sugar as you continue to mix. Feel free to add more sugar until desired consistency and sweetness is reached!

7 comments:

  1. Yummy! I love Little Man's blue face :) I mean it gives me a little anxiety but its the cutest! You are such a great mom! Those boys are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay. i love you for this. i have a love / hate relationship with sugar cookies myself. thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kids seem to be having a lot of fun.Camilla also enjoys making and decorating cookies with me, but the mess is insane!
    Yes, making sugar cookies is not a fun and easy job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are my hero Kathia! You always have something fun baking in your kitchen. I'm sure Camilla is just in a constant state of bliss because of it!! :)

      Delete
  4. Who doesn't love eating sugar cookies that's the best part. But I will say some of my happiest childhood memories were making cookies with my mom and my granny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A small batch sounds perfect. I am going to try them out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like viewing web sites which comprehend the price of delivering the excellent useful resource free of charge. I truly adored reading your posting. Thank you! sugar paste for waxing

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs