Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Good Friends.

I mentioned that we had an outing last week that deserved it's very own post. It was at that outing where I finally, at long last, met my dear friend Meg. The story that follows is one that I don't think I could ever do justice, but here is some background to how she and I came to know each other.

A few years back my sister-in-law, Hannah, told me about her friend, Meg, who had lost her baby at 21 weeks and soon after was diagnosed with cancer. My heart ached for this girl I didn't even know. At the time, I couldn't imagine what it could possibly be like to lose a baby, not to mention find out I had cancer on top of it all. Her strength and faith through it all truly left me in awe.

Fast forward to my pregnancy with Michael. When Hannah found out how dire my own situation was she sent me a link to Meg's blog (she must have truly been inspired!). I looked through the archives and read about her experience with her baby Clayton. I sobbed as I saw pictures of his funeral and the loving family he had left behind. I know that her blog was a tender mercy given to me from our Heavenly Father that helped prepare me for what was to come. Just days later I found myself living the same horrific nightmare of burying my own son. I too, lost my baby at 21 weeks. Because of her blog I knew that state law recognized that loss as a stillbirth. Because of her blog I knew that they had tiny caskets available for such circumstances. Because of her blog I also knew that we could bury our little Michael with my sweet grandpa in the same burial plot. Meg's story gave me knowledge about something I would have had no clue about otherwise, and even though I didn't know her yet, Meg gave me strength through one of the hardest times in my life.

After news hit the blog about Michael's burial, I soon received an email from Meg expressing her deepest condolences. It was the first of many emails we would send back and forth to each other over the years. Knowing she had been through what I was going through and had hurt the way I was hurting and came out on top, gave me strength. I soon received a beautiful handmade tree* that to this day sits right next to the computer on my desk. It is a constant reminder of not only my sweet Michael, but my sweet friend and her little Clayton.

Meeting Meg in person last week and finally being able to give her the hug that she deserves meant so much to me. She has over come so much (she is now a cancer survivor!) and is such an inspiration to me. If ever anyone doubts the power of blogs let them know that there are true friendships that can be formed because of them. Thank you Meg for making the long trip to meet up with us! And thank you Hannah for introducing me to someone who has most definitely "lifted me higher".


*p.s. Meg sells these beautiful handmade trees in her Etsy shop. They are all so cute and make the perfect sentimental gift!

4 comments:

  1. She is incredible. I'm so happy that sweet Meg could be such a support to you. I know you were a blessing to her as well. I'm glad we were all able to get together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a sweet girl Hil. Thanks for this. I didn't realize that you had read by blog before I e-mailed you. I'm glad that I was able to help out in my own little way during those first few days after you lost Michael. Life is so interesting isn't it. I love how Heavenly Father uses us to help each other in our times of need. You have helped me too in so many ways. It was nice to finally meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The connection the three of you have is truly a beautiful and divine gift. I am so grateful you were given the knowledge you were given through Meg's blog. It just shows that our Father knew exactly what was happening and loves you all so very much.

    Love your handmade tree art, Meg! What a wonderful gift.

    And... I adore you colors and blog design, Hil. So simple, clean, and unique. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs