Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Homemade Hot Cocoa

A couple of years ago when we still lived in Idaho, one of our neighbors brought us homemade hot chocolate. I was in absolute awe of this, not realizing it was something that could be accomplished at home (duh). I made a point to ask her for the recipe knowing it would be a good thing for this hot chocolate lover to have. I never was able to corner her for the recipe and forgot about it once summer came. That is until the following winter when our neighborhood ladies put together a cookbook. When I received my book I'd be lying if I told you it wasn't one of the first recipes I searched for. Low and behold on page five of that book laid the very recipe I had been coveting for an entire year.

This year (since we are in an entirely different state now) I decided to borrow her idea and give my new neighbors a taste of our Idaho Christmas.  I wanted to find a cute way to package it and after a few minutes on Pinterest I was inspired and came up with this:

What do you think? Cute? I like the way they turned out and am glad I was able to find the big quart jars so that it could hold enough servings for a big family if needed. They were super easy to do I just made the tags in photoshop, threaded some cute ribbon through them and then added a Christmasy scrapbook paper top. So easy.

Homemade Hot Cocoa

1 box (1 lb, 10 oz) non fat dry milk (11 cups)
4 cups sifted confectioner's sugar
2 (8 oz) jars flavored non dairy creamer (I used Hazelnut this time but there are lots of options)
1 (11 oz) jar non dairy creamer (3 cups)
1 box (1 lb) chocolate milk mix - like Nestle Quick (2 cups)

In a very large bowl (find your biggest mixing bowl and then get an even bigger one, seriously this makes a ton!) combine all ingredients, stir until well blended. Store in an air tight container. Give with serving instructions. Yeild: about 19 1/2 cups of cocoa mix.

To serve: Add 3 heaping tablespoons to 6 oz. hot water.

9 comments:

  1. homemade hot chocolate is the only way to go. once you start you'll never go back to that store bought stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those turned out really cute! My mom used to make mint hot cocoa with cocoa, sugar, dry milk and crushed up butter mints. It was good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you being all crafty! I knew you always had it in you! ;) Looks darling. I have yet to do neighbor gifts. Time? I haven't found it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea Hil, I did made homemade gifts for friends and coworkers this year, I have been baking for the past week like crazy. Homemade hot chocolate sounds delicious, and the delivery man is adorable. Happy Holidays Hil for you and your family. Sending you lots of hugs from here.( I wanted to send you a card but I never got a reply from you with your address) :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hil! Cute idea! I want one! :) or at least a cup of some... You are little Martha Stewart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! I love your deep and abiding love for all things hot chocolate, we share the same love, friend!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea. Do you mind sharing how many jars this filled and about how much cocoa mix you put in each jar? Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just finished making this for teacher gifts. Made 6 large mason jars and enough for a couple cups....tastes amazing!!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe....will for sure be making more of this!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs