Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Introducing The Great Pumpkin (i.e. best idea ever)

On Halloween morning while skimming through my google reader, I came across Natalie's* blog post about "waging war against candy (and crazy) everywhere". In the post she introduced to me the best idea ever. An idea that is known as "The Great Pumpkin". An idea that will forever change Halloween in this household in a very good way.

The Great Pumpkin is the perfect way to get rid of all that candy once and for all without your kids protesting their little hearts out and having the whole ordeal end in tears. I was a bit nervous implementing it in our family, but it turned out incredibly awesome. When we told Little Guy about it he was all for it. We told him he had a choice and it just so happens that he was more excited about the mysterious Great Pumpkin than he was about his bucket full of goodies. I am happy to report that we are now candy free and happy again!

Here is how we did it.

First, we wrote a note to the Great Pumpkin:
Next we placed the candy and the note outside of Little Guy's bedroom door. We told Little Guy that the Great Pumpkin would come while he was sleeping and trade his candy for a fun toy:

Finally, once Little Guy was sawing logs we put all of his candy in a bag and replaced it with a fun toy for him to share with Tiny Man (since we donated Tiny's candy as well). We also left him a note from the Great Pumpkin thanking Little Guy for all the candy he collected this year and telling him to enjoy his new toy.

Both Little and Tiny played with the thing all. day. long. That is not an exaggeration people. Little Guy even brought it in the car when we went places:
The best part? Little Guy didn't ask for his candy once today. He didn't say he missed it or wanted it back.  More importantly we didn't have any hopped-up-on-sugar fits, stray wrappers all over the house, or choking toddlers! I think we may have to make this a new family tradition. He loved it, I loved it. It was a win/win. I strongly encourage you to do the same if you are tired of all the sweets laying around the house for days and weeks on end!

I'm curious, what do you do as a family to deal with the plethora of after-Halloween-treats?

*Side-note: I love Natalie and got to know her via email when she lost her little boy Gavin. It was just two months after our experience with Michael and the wounds were still fresh. She was a great example to me (still is) and the reason my mom, Jer and I went and got our booster shots before having Tiny Man. Read up on it and got get vaccinated yourself! It saves lives.

6 comments:

  1. AWESOME! What a great idea- that is what I will be doing with my child- even if he is healthy... :)


    Makay
    www.thebirdssay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We feed it all to my husband. :) Actually, I pick through and take a few of the things I like, put a few things for Elijah in a bag with his name, and the rest goes to my husband (who, I don't think, could gain a pound of fat if he tried!). Elijah doesn't really ask much for candy, though, and usually we end up tossing whatever gets too old to eat after a while. But this is a super cute idea!! -Katie {My Paisley Apron}

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea! We sent most of our candy to our cousins in Iraq. :) The kids got to keep one third of all their candy (which wasn't a whole lot), and then they wrote letters to send along with the rest of their candy. I agree, it's nice to not have so much candy around the house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute idea but... replacing candy with a DRUM?! Haha oh man I bet listening to that all day was AWESHUM! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stefanie, in hind site the drum was a TERRIBLE idea! Especially since we are temporarily living in a tiny apartment while we wait for our house to be finished. I've had to hide the drum sticks a couple of times already. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs