Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Caramel Apple Crisp

Well November sure started off here with a bang. It was freezing cold today and I believe there were even a few snow flurries here and there. We are so glad it decided to come today rather than last night while we were trying to collect our goodies from the neighbors. When it's cold outside I always like having some sort of warm treat in the evenings to help me wind down from the day. Tonight we had left over apple crisp and it hit the spot.

Last year I posted a recipe for Caramel Apple Crisp for Two. It is still a favorite of ours, but I hadn't made it in a while. When I found out we were going to be with family for Halloween I knew I wanted to use up some of the apples my mother-in-law sent home with us last weekend. So, I quadrupled the recipe for a bigger group and we all enjoyed it after a fun night of trick-or-treating.

Enjoy!
Caramel Apple Crisp

Ingredients:

5 medium size apples
1/2 c. flour
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. butter
1 c. oats
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 to 4 heaping tablespoons caramel topping (we prefer Mrs. Richardson's Butterscotch Caramel topping, but I didn't have it this last time and Hershey's caramel turned out just as great).
whipping cream or Ice Cream (optional)

Instructions: 

Place apple slices in greased baking dish.  Spoon caramel topping over the apples.  In a bowl, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add oats and cinnamon.  Sprinkle over apple slices and caramel.

Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until tender. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream if desired.

5 comments:

  1. I know you hate the cold, but I was so excited to see the few flurries this afternoon. (I actually got a little teary watching it. I'm emotional from J's recent news. ha!)

    I've been meaning to make this since you posted it last year. I need to use up our apples too, so I'll probably be making this soon! Thanks for the reminder!

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's 1 am here...
    And I really want that.

    I think I need to go to sleep now.


    www.thebirdssay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mhhh yummm, I am definitely going to try this. We have a lot of apples from our garden. I hope I can find some kind of caramel topping in a German grocery store. That's going to be challanging I guess. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks delicious. I really wish I had the time to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just popped it in the oven! I'm excited to try this out :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs