Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Pool Party Snack

Summer has finally decided to show it's face around here and once again I find myself in love with Idaho.  It may have awful, horrible, no good winters, but it's summers sure do make up for it.  Little Guy is absolutely loving life and taking full advantage of the sunshine by swimming in his little pool every day (our favorite summertime purchase, fyi).

On Tuesday, we had a little impromptu pool party with our neighbors and friends.  The mommy's sat on the grass with babes in lap while the kiddos splashed and played (and fought) in the pool.  I have to admit that it was a tad exhausting having to play referee.  It was one of those days when I was tired of sounding like a broken record but it was well worth the face time we got with the sun and with our friends.

Little Guy and I had made some homemade soft pretzels earlier that day and decided to bring a bowl full to share.  They were so much easier than the previous recipe I posted and very tasty.  So easy and tasty in fact that we made another batch the very next day.  They turned out to be the perfect little pool party snack and will probably be my go to pretzel recipe from now on.

Happy snacking!
Summertime Soft Pretzels

1 pkg active dry yeast (or 2 1/2 tsp.)
2 TBS brown sugar
1 1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups warm water
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup bread flour
2 cups warm water (110 degrees)
2 TBS. baking soda
5 TBS melted butter
2 TBS coarse kosher salt
parchment paper

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast, brown sugar and salt in a 1 1/2 cups warm water. Stir in flour, and knead dough (on a floured surface or in your mixer using kneading paddle) for about 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover, and let rise for one hour.

Combine 2 cups warm water and baking soda in an 8" square pan.

After dough has risen, cut into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a 3 foot rope, pencil thin or thinner. Twist into a pretzel shape and dip into the baking soda solution pan. Place on parchment covered cookie sheets, and let rise for 20 minutes.

Bake at 450 for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse salt, garlic salt or cinnamon sugar.
{Little Guy's favorite food of all time. Hands down.}

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are finally getting some summer weather. The other day, the family renting our house there told us that the forecast for the next two weeks was warm and sunny. I thought of you, and knew I'd probably be seeing some fun summertime posts here pretty soon. :)

    I'll have to try that pretzel recipe next time we make some. They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think those pretzels are beautiful! And huge! Lucky boy! I want to make some now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hil, I just made those... oh my goodness, they are delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am making these for FHE tonight. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! These look so yummy! Thank you for sharing, Hilary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. okay. my homemade pretzels did not look that yummy. i am trying this, soon, tomorrow if possible.

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs