Saturday, January 15, 2011

Grapenut Custard



Have you ever taken a bite of food and suddenly felt nostalgic?  Grapenut Custard is one of those foods that does it for me.  This was one of my dad's favorite desserts so my mom, being the awesome wife that she is, would make it for him on occasion.  We always ate it warm, making it an ultimate comfort food.

I had completely forgotten about this dessert until my mom made it last week while we were visiting.  When I got home, I decided I needed to make it for Jer since he had never had it before.  He loves custard, so I knew it would be a dessert that was right down his alley.

Mom's Grape-nut Custard

3 cups whole milk
3/4 cups grape-nuts cereal (not flakes)
4 large eggs
3/4 cups white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray an 8X8 baking or casserole dish with vegetable spray. Do not use metal.

Warm milk almost to scalding. Remove from heat and stir in Grape-nuts. Let sit for 15 minutes.  Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together eggs, sugar, vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Whisk until well mixed. Add milk and grape-nuts and mix on low only until blended.

Fill a 9X13 pan 1/3 with hot water. Place the prepared 8" X 8" dish into the pan with the hot water. Pour grape-nut mixture into the smaller pan. Place the pans very carefully into the oven, and bake for 45-60 minutes or until knife comes out clean.

Serves 6-8. Can be doubled in a 9X13 pan.

Serve warm with fresh whipped cream.

8 comments:

  1. Mmm. Sounds good. I'll have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm! I am a huge grapenut fan. I think these would hit the spot. You always post the most fantastic looking recipes. I need to start making them!

    And if your mom ever publishes a cookbook, I'll be the first in line to buy one. She sounds like the cook of the century!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. I have a box of grapenuts on the shelf right now. I'll have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay. These look delish. However, I am embarressed to say that I have some MAJOR pregnancy brain and can't make sense of the recipe today. BUT...I will try it when I am no longer preggers...when I can make sense of it all so it turns out right:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny! I just made some the week after your mom did. I see that our recipes differ though. I am going to try hers and see what the difference is. They will both be 'licious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just have a question about the photo. It looks like the custard is between two grapenut cookie things in the photo but the recipe instructs to mix the cereal/milk mixture into the custard???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous,

    That is just how it cooks up in the oven. Some of the grapenuts sink and other float to the top, leaving custard in the middle. If you are going to make it, good luck and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow!! I'm so excited to make this! Custard is my favorite dessert & I grew up eating grapenuts. I love them warm with butter & brown sugar. Thank you for sharing the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs