Tuesday, August 24, 2010

This is not a craft blog.




For those of you who are new to this blog and are holding out hoping that it is somehow a craft blog, let me just break it to you now and let you know that it's not.  Why?  Because I am not a crafty person.  There. I said it.  While in St. George, my sister woke up one morning and stated "I think I am going to craft this morning".  I'm pretty sure those words have never escaped my mouth.

You must understand that it isn't that I don't enjoy crafting.  It's more just the fact that I am awful at it.  I have a hard time finding the time and patience to sit down at a table and think up something creative.  Then, assuming I was able to come up with something I have a hard time figuring out how to do it!  This is quite the confession as a blogger, since most of you out there are amazing crafters and that's what makes your blogs so beautiful... your awesome talent.  (Want an even bigger confession?  I received a beautiful sewing machine from my mom for Christmas two years ago, and it is still in it's box.  I blame it mostly on the fact that I don't have a proper table to use it on!)

My mom is the ultimate sewing crafter.  When she gets an idea in her head, she carries it out in no time flat.  She happened to have the idea of some cute blankets enter her brain while I was there, and I was able to witness her mad skills first hand. 

Our first stop was to Ace Hardware of all places.  If you can believe it, they had gobs and gobs of adorable fabric.  We picked some out that was bright and cheery and made us both smile.  When we got home with the fabric, I planned on keeping it in it's bag for the rest of the trip.  My mom had other plans.  She went right to work cutting, laying out the pieces and pinning.  I was there for moral support.  

When it came time to sew, I left it up to my mom.  I learned from my children's sewing class in college that I spent more time unpicking than I did actually sewing.  She did, however, insist I sew on the rick-rack... and she even got a picture of me doing it to document such an occasion.  So dont' be fooled by the picture.  Even though it shows me making the blanket... it was actually all my mom's doing.

We got one blanket done and then it was time for me to go on my date.  When we arrived back later that night, the second blanket was done and folded all nice and neat next to the first.  They were so adorable sitting together, I wanted to cry.  

Thank you again Mom!  I love them both so very much and can't wait to wrap our sweet baby boy in them.

Blanket #1.  Go ahead, admire that rick-rack.

Blanket #2.  Aren't those elephants, giraffes, and kangaroos too cute?   For those of you who have ever sewn with minky, you know how difficult this blanket must have been (apparently it stretches like crazy and can be a pain).  Not to mention the fact that she was babysitting a two year old at the time of making it! Wonder woman.

15 comments:

  1. You are listed under "crafty blogs" on my blog because you ARE crafty - your photos are gorgeous and you think of fun and creative things (like your slushy boy/girl announcement) that, in my mind, are quite crafty and admirable! :)

    I know what you mean with crafting. I hang in there and keep trying things because I'm not really that much of a perfectionist and if it's looks good enough, then I'm okay with it, and I think it's fun to try to make things. But over half my crafts look exactly like something a kindergartener might have made on the first day of school.

    The blankets are completely adorable, although now I'm worried - I just bought tons of minky thinking I'd make some easy gifts... and I've never worked with it before! We'll see how it goes I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow, Hil! Those are adorable! I am completely in love with the patterned fabric on the car blanket and I'm always a sucker for modern-looking animals.

    Also, despite all this persuasion, I still consider you a crafty person. Sorry but it's not likely to change. I swear I've seen a picture of a baby dress you sewed that was amazing. Also, design totally counts as a craft in my mind...so there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AW. That is soooo cute! :)

    Love, makay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those plankets are the cutest.
    I love the colors and the pattern. Your mom sure is a Wonder Woman - and so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness, oh my goodness. i love the rickrack on these blankets and the fun colors too. really cute work. and ace hardware?! who knew?!! you are too funny, i still think you are completely creative and crafty. love the minky, it is a baby favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. FOr not being a craft person, that blankie looks pretty darn adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those blankets are so dang cute!! And yes, minky is soooo hard to sew with. One of the first blankets I tried to make, I made with some minky and it turned out horribly... I've sworn it off until I am a better seamstress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute. St. George must have a fancy Ace. I've never seen cute fabric anywhere near ours.

    And...I have a special place in my heart for any project with rickrack. Way too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have fabric at my ace! I love the blanket! Ric-Rac is my favorite thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute. I am so proud. I want a sewing machine even though I haven't used one since 8th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so jealous, those are SO adorable!! You are going to have one stylin' little boy. The fabric is so bright and cheery, I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to work with minky, but it makes me nervous when I hear that it's hard to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so with you on the not being a natural born crafter. I finally busted out my sewing machine after it sat in it's box for 2 years. and the first thing I sewed was a minky blanket. I learned: the seam-ripper is my friend!

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs