Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Summer Treat


While in St. George, my mom made a yummy no-bake cheesecake from a recipe she had found online.  It was really good, but actually ended up tasting more like a Cool Whip pie.  My dad was in heaven.  There are few food items my dad loves more than Cool Whip.

We decided the next time we made it, we needed to alter the recipe a bit to make it taste more like cheesecake.  Sorry Dad.

When I got home, my husband had prepared a wonderful steak and asparagus meal on the grill for us.  I decided to surprise him with one of his favorite desserts... cheesecake.  After discussing it with my mom, we came up with the following recipe.  It turned out, and was really good.  This recipe will definitely be a keeper!

Hil's Revised No-Bake Cheesecake

1 ready made shortbread cookie crust (Keebler makes a good one)
10 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 tsp. Almond Extract (or to desired taste)
1 (8 oz.) Cool Whip
Fruit Topping (optional)

Blend cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and almond extract together in mixing bowl until smooth.  Fold in about 5/6 of the Cool Whip, adding more if desired.  Blend until smooth.  Poor mixture into ready made crust.  Chill at least 2 hours before serving.

Serve with your choice of Cherry, Blueberry or other favorite fruit topping.

*This would make a great 4th of July treat, served with blueberries and cherries!

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so, so pretty. a no bake cheesecake? sounds like a genius idea to me. i can't believe how innovative you and your mother are. i'm adding it to my cooking queue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I love cheesecake. And no bake sounds great. Now I just need to find something similar to Cool Whip here in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good, I'm going to try it for the fourth of July! I will post how it goes on my blog probably about the 5th-6th of July! I will make sure I put in a link for your page! Thanks so much for the cute idea!

    http://basicallyformyself.blogspot.com

    Nicole Mariana

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks excellent! I'm definitely going to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so going to put almond extract in my next cheesecake!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs