Thursday, July 15, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookie Day


Today was a chocolate chip cookie day.  My Little Guy took his first nap of the week (please tell me it is a phase and that he isn't officially growing out of his naps..) and I was beyond excited to sneak in a little snooze as well.  We had had a fun morning at the zoo with our friends Marta and Benji and were ready for some good relaxation time after spotting all the animals.

Right as my head hit the pillow, I heard a weed-eater start up.  Then a lawn mower.  Then a second weed-eater.  Then a second lawn mower.  Seriously?!  The one day this week that I was able to get a little nap in, they decide to mow the lawn.  I laid there trying to doze off, but wasn't ever able to.  So, I did what any girl in my situation would do.

I decided to make chocolate chip cookies instead.

Little Guy was elated to wake up to chocolate chip cookie dough and warm cookies in the oven.  This recipe is a family favorite.  We have been making it for years.  It is courtesy of Crisco, but we have altered it just a tad.  Because I am feeling generous, and because it seems to be your lucky day, I am posting it for you!

Go ahead, have a chocolate chip cookie day.  You know you want to.

Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies

3/4 cup Butter Flavor Crisco Shortening
1-1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 egg
1-3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 bag milk chocolate chips

Heat oven to 375*F. Combine shortening, brown sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until well blended. Beat egg into creamed mixture. Next add flour, salt and baking soda. Mix until just blended. Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop cookie dough 3 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake one sheet at a time at 375*F for 8 to 10 minutes. (I always set my timer at 8... I like mine extra chewy so I try to take them out before they are completely done baking.) DO NOT OVERBAKE. Cool on baking sheet and transfer to cooling rack.

MAKES ABOUT 3 DOZEN COOKIES.

note: these are the cookies that my husband once claimed were "a little rich" here. he now loves them, thank goodness!

15 comments:

  1. Yummmm... now I want some chocolate chip cookies - for breakfast =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMMM.... I want cookies... I wonder if you can blend cookies? I should look into that. ;) haha. (I just had jaw surgery so I am on a non-chew diet).

    -makay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious. Lou is sitting on my lap and as soon as she saw the picture she said, "mmm" like three times. We have a thing for sweets in this house

    ReplyDelete
  4. ultimate chocolate chip cookies a.k.a. hil's famous chocolate chip cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use this recipe too. This and the tollhouse recipe are a toss-up for me. mmm. I love them straight out of the oven with some vanilla ice cream melting on top.

    I think this will be tonight's treat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum. They look delicious!

    That would always happen to us when we lived in El Paso. It seems the apartment complex couldn't ever work on the grounds in the morning- It always had to be during naptime! Good luck getting little guy to nap again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recipe! I'll definitely have to make this a weekend to-do! They look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh yum. they look like the perfect cookie. there aren't many things that can replace a nap, but chocolate chip cookies just might be worth it.

    and I remember the story about them being a little rich. too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am feeling majorly LUCKY to have this recipe. am saving it and printing as we speak. thank you, thank you for sharing your Hil's Cookie recipe. hooray for us. we loved going to the zoo with you, lets do it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. p.s. i just noticed the shout out How-To button on your sidebar. thanks for being so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious! I saw the picture and couldn't resist making them! Jordan thinks they have the texture of chips a'hoy chewy cookies, he loved them! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. um..this picture is killing me! Found your blog through marta writes..loved your bio description. lovely blog. just wanted to say hi!
    ~elizabeth
    nella designs paper studio

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just found your blog and I love it...and I made these cookies today. They are delicious! Jeff is in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been a fan of your blog since discovering it via Marta. I've wanted to try these cookies but kept forgetting to get the butter-flavored Crisco until this week. My kids and I made them today and they were incredible. Thanks for passing along the recipe. FYI - my son is allergic to eggs, so I subbed out the egg with my milled flax substitute and they worked beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just came across your blog this morning, via Marta, via her mother - none of whom know me, but we can all be friends, right? These cookies look delish. We love our cookies around here!! I've got the kids home from school and these just might be the ticket to a great day! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs