Friday, May 28, 2010

Late Night Trips Are Never a Good Idea

I went to Wal-mart last night at 9:30, leaving the hubs with Little Guy.  This was the first time I had gone grocery shopping alone in a long time.

It proved to be a dangerous experience.

By the end of my trip through the isles, my cart was full of Rice Krispies Treats, Ovaltine (random?), Nutella, and pudding.  I decided I needed to start adding some healthy things in my cart otherwise my husband would ban me from ever going alone again.  In went the wheat bread, milk, yogurt, vitamin water and string cheese.

There.  That was better.

As I started unloading my cart the lady at the register asked me if I wanted to donate to Primary Children's.  I said, "Yes. We love Primary Children's."  She then asked if I had ever been there.  I told her I had and left it at that.  She then went on to say that her husband had been there for a heart defect when he was younger.  I said, "We were there for my son's heart defect" right as she scanned the beautiful yellow mums I had bought to place on Michael's grave this weekend.  She had no idea how ironic it all was.  My heart ached for a moment and I tried to forget about the exchange as I pushed my cart into the dark parking lot.

On a side note, little did I know that the most dangerous purchase of the night was going to be this beautiful jar of goodness:


I haven't bought Nutella for about 4 years - the last time I did, I ended up gaining about 5lbs.  It's called no self control.  I couldn't help myself as I saw it sitting all lonely like on the shelf.  I have already had two pieces of toast smothered with this chocolate-hazelnut spread this morning and am contemplating a third.  I'm going to regret this purchase next week at my doctor's appointment when I have to get on the scale once again.

8 comments:

  1. My last time at the grocery store I grabbed a jar of Nutella and then my waistline (or lack thereof) yelled at me and I put it back... Ahhh... looking at it makes me want it right now though... Enjoy some for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it all- the evening out the junk with healthy due to raging pregnancy hormones- the irony of the cashier's conversation- and the no self control with nutella. I haven't had it in a long time either but the last I did it was on a crepe that was filled with vanilla ice cream and topped with nutella. Oh so tempting! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had Nutella on one of my pancakes this morning with my little friend.

    For me it is so funny to read Nutella posts. Let me tell you why. I guess there was no day in my life I didn't have any Nutella in my kitchen or my parents kitchen. And I'd say it is like that in 90% of all German households. We are all raised on Nutella toast/bread/rolls/crepes/everything over here =)
    I eat Nutella about every other week or even less than that. Guess having it available all the time makes it less interesting - which is a good thing I think. So it is really funny for me to read that some (mostly Americans) only buy it occassionally and than go through a jar in no time =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know they sell Nutella at Costco?? Yep...and I agree, Nutella is oh so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're wonderful. Have some more Nutella.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't some of the most interesting conversations happen in the grocery store line. What a strong lady!!
    Now, for the Nutelle...no-one can resist. I am jsut puzzled that grocers haven't figured out that they would sell so much more of those if they put them at the checkout stand next to the candy bars, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nutella is made up of little pieces of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Late night trips CAN be dangerous...but, thank goodness you came out of it with that little pot of gold (aka Nutella)!

    I have a recipe for that, and I am sure that you would love it! You basically just use a regular pizza crust (like stuff at Trader Joes)paint some melted butter on it and put it in the oven for like 10 minutes, then spread some Nutella on top and and bake for like 3 more minutes. When it comes out spread some Powdered Sugar on top and serve....DELISH! Must try it! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs