Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Cannon Rebel XSi vs. Chocolate Milk



Yesterday was one of those days.

You know the ones where you feel like you have cleaned up every mess imaginable, and no matter what your toddler grabs a hold of it eventually ends up all over him and/or the floor?  It was nearing bed time and I seriously could not wait to get Little Guy in bed so that I could clean up the apartment before my husband came home from class.

I was in the kitchen cleaning up from dinner and happen to glance over at Little Guy right about the time he was bending over to pick something up.  This was all fine until I saw that he had a glass of chocolate milk in his hand.  As he bent over, the cup of chocolate milk tipped along with him and spilled all over the floor.  Ok, don't panic, I grabbed a towel and went to go dab it up.  I did a fine job of not panicking until I saw my camera lying on the floor (what it was doing on the floor is beyond me) covered in chocolate milk.  I panicked.  Hyperventilated really.  Poor Little Guy didn't know what to do, I'm sure he was trying to figure out why his mother was in hysterics.

I grabbed the camera and rushed over to the kitchen counter.  I tried to wipe all of the chocolate milk off, but it seemed like I wasn't getting anywhere with it.  When I finally felt like I had gotten most of the milk off and out of the camera... I turned it on.  It wasn't until later that I read this is the worst thing you can do if you camera has any kind of water damage.  Awesome.  The camera immediately started taking pictures without me even pushing the button, and when I tried to push the button it wouldn't take any pictures.

It was a sad, tragic moment.  I mourned for a short little while and finally gave up hope on the camera returning back to normal.  I left it on the counter and cleaned up the rest of the mess.

Little Guy was completely concerned and apologetic.  I scooped him up in my arms and told him it was an accident and that it was all okay.  I was thankful that the camera was only a thing and tried to remind myself of that.  It was an expensive thing, but still only a thing.  Little Guy asked if he could help me clean up the mess and even offered me some prime snuggle time.  Score.

Fast forward to today.  I met up with friends Marta and Miranda for lunch today.  It was seriously so much fun.  We had good food, great company and lots of blog talk.  It was Marta's and my first time meeting adorable Miranda.  Despite Little Guy deciding he wanted to crawl around under all of the tables and not sit still, it was a perfect lunch get together!

We took pictures of the three of us toward the end and thought about using my camera.  However, I was too nervous to try it out just yet.  How embarrassing would it be to ask some stranger to take a picture of us with my possessed camera that took pictures on it's own free will.  So, I kept it tucked in my purse and didn't pull it out until I got home.

When I did get home, I pulled the camera out and turned the power on.  It was the moment of truth.  I pushed the button and it worked!  Well, at least it didn't take pictures all on its own.. and it did take pictures when I pushed the button.  The only problem is that there seems to be a slight delay in the picture taking, and possibly a little problem with the auto focus.  But, at least it isn't completely ruined.

So there you have it, the camera won the battle against chocolate milk.

7 comments:

  1. Oh no, I hope your camera will be fine after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totaly relate to this post. Last year my camera broke because Cami hit it with a big toy, I was a little upset (with myself, totally my fault) first, but at the end it was just a "thing" that could be replaced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. victory!! it's pretty ironic how much you love both your chocoholic beverages and your camera! so glad it's back to working.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such an unfair match. Hoping any residual problems are easy fixes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man! I am so glad that it's at least working a little bit! It might be worth it to take it somewhere to get looked at? Maybe they could make it work like new!!
    As a side note, I think your blog is the FIRST one I look at when blog-stalking! I never miss a post. Sorry I never comment. I will be better, I promise!!
    Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs