Thursday, March 18, 2010

Unexpected.

{pictures taken with my cell phone... hence the poor quality}


Yesterday was filled with all sorts of unexpected events.  Little Guy and I had some time to kill in the car before we had to drop off a delivery at the church so we decided to go visit Michael's grave.  When we got there, we had some unexpected, but fun visitors.  Little Guy went crazy mooing and saying hi to the cows who were roaming just feet away from the cemetery.  He made sure to keep his distance while delighting in the fact that they were right there in front of us.  I'm sure he didn't realize just how big cows are in real life.


After we got done saying hi to the cows (and accidentally spooking one of them) we rounded the corner to Michael's grave.  I wasn't prepared for what we would see next.  We could see exactly where the ground had been dug up just 3 1/2 months before.  I don't know why I expected to see a seamless plot of ground, I suppose because it had been covered with snow soon after the burial and that is what I was used to seeing.  I felt a familiar dull pain return to my heart.  The scene was a reminder of just how recent all of this happened in our lives.  My heart ached to have Michael with us again.


As we left, Little Guy cried.  He loves it there.  I think being outside, the big cows and fun grave decorations have something to do with it.  It was too cute to watch him blow a kiss and say "Bye Michael!  Ove Whoo!" as we drove away.

Yesterday was just a bit of a struggle, but I never can forget how very blessed we are.  Despite our loss, we have gained so much from this experience and I am forever grateful.

4 comments:

  1. I have been reading your blog for awhile but have never commented. I just wanted to let you know that you inspire me. I hope that each day continues to get better. You have a nice blog and I enjoy your writing. Thanks and have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoy reading about your adventures with Little Guy. It was so cute to read how he said, "Ove Whoo!" to Michael. It is so inspiring to see how you continue to view your experience through the lens of "gain", rather than one of "loss". Thank you for being a new source of encouragement for me during my time of struggle.
    ~Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, what a moment. and how incredibly sweet of your little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilary, I just wanted to let you know that you are still in my prayers. I think it's so wonderful how you are keeping Michael an ever-present part of your family, and helping to nurture a relationship between him and Caleb.

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs