Sunday, January 24, 2010

Thai Chicken Curry



I finally made the curry tonight. It was delicious and turned out great (surprisingly). So, as promised here is the recipe.

Before sharing though, there are a few things I need to confess:

1. I'm not actually 100% sure this is necessarily a Thai Chicken Curry as my title says. But it tastes identical to the curry from our favorite Thai restaurant... so I've decided to call it that.

2. I am horrible at taking food photos. I can never make them look appetizing (especially if it is yellow!).  I like to blame it on the lighting, but I know it's usually just my lack of photography and photoshop skill.  So, please don't decide whether you are going to make this stuff based on my photos.  Rather, base it off of me telling you that this is some really good curry.




3. I am a messy cook.  When I cook, my kitchen looks like a tornado hit.  It doesn't matter if I am making a full on three course meal or just baking cookies, my kitchen ends up looking like a disaster.  I try to clean as I go along, but that's usually when I screw things up because I wasn't paying enough attention.  I don't know why I thought you should know that, but I feel much better now that it is out on the table (literally).

Here is the recipe from my mom:

Thai Chicken Curry

2 3/4 cups coconut milk
3 T. yellow curry paste or dried curry
4 chicken breasts (boneless) cut into bite size chunks
2 cups chicken broth
2 med. potatoes cut into bite size chunks ( about 1 1/2 cups)
1 onion cut into thick wedges (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup chopped carrots (or more if desired)
2 T. fish sauce or 1 tsp. salt
2 T.palm sugar or brown sugar

Cook one cup coconut milk to a gentle boil over medium-high heat. Cook 2 to 3 minutes until it begins to thicken and becomes fragrant.

Add curry paste and cook 2 to 3 minutes, pressing and stirring to dissolve it into the coconut milk.

Add the chicken and cook another minute or two tossing to coat with the sauce.

Add remaining 1 3/4 cups of coconut milk, the chicken broth, potatoes, carrots, onions, fish sauce, and the sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook stirring now and then, until the chicken is cooked and the potatoes and carrots are tender. About 6 to 8 minutes.

Serve over rice.
Happy cooking!

It helped to watch this lady make her curry before I started.  My mom sent me the link and even though her recipe isn't same as the one above, it is similar enough to at least get an idea of what to do! 

6 comments:

  1. I ♥ that picture of the overflowing pot! So true!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum have to try this out! I think the photo's turned out great but a little note that could help your woes out. In photoshop go into color saturation and click yellow and then click the part of the image that is yellow to you.. then take the slider and go down in color but be careful not to take out all the color you need. You can also use auto fix or auto color fix but be careful sometimes these do more harm. Hope this helps some. Thanks for the yum recipe it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm. looks yum. I love curry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe! I am going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is the T. a teaspoon or a tablespoon?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this recipe- it was really good!

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs