Monday, December 28, 2009

Michael's Ring


When I graduated from high school, my parents gave me a pretty little maroon box after the graduation ceremony. Inside was the most beautiful ring I had ever seen. I later found out my mom had helped in the design and had been sure to pick out a stone that was my favorite color. It was a pink sapphire with a small diamond as an accent. I loved it. I wasn't expecting anything at all and it was a wonderful surprise.

Fast forward to when I got engaged. I had always worn my pink sapphire on my left hand. Everyday in fact. When I got engaged I replaced the ring until I could get it resized to fit my right hand (for some reason my right hand is a bit fatter than my left..). Well, I ended up losing my ring during that time. I have absolutely no idea what happened to it and was sick to my stomach when I realized I had lost it.

Over the years I have probably expressed to my husband how sad I was about losing the ring. I know I have said on more than one occasion how I wish I still had that ring, but never thought he would (or could for that matter) do anything about it. After all, it was a custom made ring that my mom had helped design.

I haven't ever been a big jewelry person. In fact, the only jewelry I ever wear is my wedding ring and an occasional set of earrings. I am the type that would be just as happy with a big box of chocolates than a piece of jewelry. So, it was more for sentimental reasons as to why I wanted the ring again.

You can imagine my surprise as I opened a small gift Christmas morning, only to find a pretty little maroon box inside. I opened the box and was in complete shock as I stared down at the pink sapphire ring that my parents had given me so long ago. My husband then told me to look on the inside of the band. There I found an inscription that read "MLC". Michael's initials. Tears filled my eyes and I was overwhelmed with emotion.

I later found out that my husband had gone back to the same jeweler that my parents had gotten my graduation ring from. He asked them if they would be able to replicate the ring, and found out they still had the drawings and plans from the first one in their books. He requested that they make another one and after Michael's death, he went in and asked if they would be able to inscribe his initials into the ring. I am so happy that I will now always have a little reminder of him with me.

One last part of this story, is when I researched pink sapphire last night, I found out it is meant to "provide strength during difficult times". Completely fitting for our little Michael.

Thank you for the beautiful gift sweetheart. I love you so very much.

15 comments:

  1. Oh Hil, that is so sweet of your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so beautiful! That story brought tears to my eyes too! How amazing it is that the pink sapphire is meant to provide strength during difficult times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How amazing is that... I guess there couldn't have been a more perfect gift for you. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a thoughtful gift; what a beautiful ring; what a sweet remembrance. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great gift! So sweet of Jerry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a gift. That is amazing of your husband. I am glad that you have something to wear constantly to remind you of your little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing, amazing, amazing, amazing. jerry wins on christmas gifts this year for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful! What a meaningful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVED LOVED LOVED this story. Jerry DEFINITELY WON the award for the best christmas gift anyone could get! Seriously that is so so so so sweet! Wear it proud! It is beautiful! Oh man there probably wasn't a dry eye when you opened it, because i can't look at it without crying!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for making my eyes, sweat, Jer! What a thoughtful gift. What a dear husband he is! i enjoyed reading your learnt lessons from this year. So wise you have become-- at such a young age. Love you, hils!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hilary, what a thoughtful gift. i love how the two rings have come at such important times of your life. what sweet people you are surrounded with. glad your christmas was a happy one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful story. You're a lucky girl for sure. :-)

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs