Thursday, December 10, 2009

Humorous

I am laying here in bed, thinking about the day I just had and I really can't help but laugh. It all started when I had been asked to make stroganoff as well as a dessert for our ward Christmas party that was this evening. After a trip to Wal-mart (can we say insane around this time of year??) I had everything I needed to make both items.

I got started around 1:30PM right after I put Little Guy down for a nap. He was pretty wound up, but I had hopes that he would nap, I would get my pumpkin cakes all finished up, take a quick snooze before my little man woke up, make the stroganoff, drop it off at the party all with a smile on my face and a skip in my step. IF ONLY.

Instead what ended up happening was the following:

Little Guy did not take a nap. I still made him stay in his room for a good two hours, hoping he would fall asleep while playing (which he has been known to do in the past). I baked my pumpkin cakes and made the frosting. Around 3:30PM I finally let the little man out of his room. This was a big, huge, massive mistake. I can't emphasize how big of a mistake this was. What happened for the next two hours was pure chaos.

My child is a pretty mellow two year old. But for some reason today he decided to get into everything. He got to the wrapping paper, unrolled 3 rolls, stabbed a good portion with the scissors so it is no longer useable and stepped on the remainder. He then moved on to the kitchen where I was and unloaded the tupperware cabinet, along with the measuring cups and spoons... oh and the fridge. Next was the bathroom and our bedroom. He has been on a coloring kick lately and decided to decorate daddy's xbox with red colored pencil in the midst of it all.

In the meantime, I am in the kitchen stressing out about how to make stroganoff. It was my first time making it (that I know of) and I was certain I was going to mess it all up for the whole ward. I was also attempting to pipe frosting onto the pumpkin cakes at the same time. Bad decision on my part.

The next thing I know, I realize the house is quiet. I try to think of where I saw my Little Guy go last, and noticed the bathroom door was closed. I went and opened the door only to find him standing there with his diaper off, poop. in. hand. I immediately grabbed the wipes and a new diaper to clean him up. As I was doing so I heard a sizzling noise and noticed my stroganoff was burning on the stove! So, I left my bare-bummed child to go save the stroganoff. Once I got everything settled down, and my child's bum cleaned and covered I decided we needed to get out of the house to keep myself and Little Guy from going completely insane (assuming it wasn't too late already).

As I was transferring the stroganoff to a more portable container I happened to look behind me only to find Little Guy stuffing his face full of cream cheese frosting and cupcake.

I really couldn't help but just laugh at this point. Even if there was a perfect number aligned on the tray before and now it looked uneven and not complete. He enjoyed that cupcake more than anyone at any ward party ever would. He said over and over again, "MMMM.... Goood!!!" It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

We then dropped off the items at the church and headed for the mall. I had planned on going to the party, but my husband had class tonight and I didn't dare face everyone alone... at least not this soon.

It was a crazy day, and I have only shared less than half of the events, but despite it all I still felt grateful to be a mom at the end of the day.

Here is the recipe for the pumpkin cakes courtesy of Cassie. And for the record... they were "MMMMM! Goood!!"


Mini Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cakes

1 spice cake mix
2 eggs
1 15 oz can pumpkin
1/2 C water
1 C mini chocolate chips

Mix everything together, spoon into greased muffin tins and bake at 350 for 14 minutes.
Let the cakes cool on racks and enjoy plain. . . or. . .

Top with cream cheese frosting:
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese (softened)
1/2 C butter (softened)
3 1/2 - 4 C powdered sugar
1 t vanilla

Cream the butter, vanilla and cream cheese together. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time until the frosting is spreadable.

9 comments:

  1. oh my goodness.. hilary!!! that is hilarious. am so sorry that you had to prepare so much for the party. i love your attitude about toddlerhood. your caleb is too cute not to forgive and forget. coloring on the xbox is pretty awesome. can't wait to try your little cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could you get mad at a face that adorable...! I remember days like those...some times wondered how the food even turned out. So glad he enjoyed that yummy cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha. oh, life goes on for a 2-year-old, doesn't it? those cakes look incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was awesome! I've always thought I'd really love cooking if i could just snap my fingers and my kids wouldn't need me for anything while preparing the meal. Honestly 79% of the stress is being interrupted while preparing a meal. Well, I guess I am speaking for myself. I'm sure there are plenty of mothers out there who have a lot more patience and think getting bombarded with demands from their children while cooking is absolutely adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh nos! I had to read this to my husband you made me laugh so much. You have such a wonderful attitude about your little guy's rambunctiousness. Thanks for sharing your day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had a great day! I have a 2 yeard old too, my little girl is into coloring too. Your day sounds pretty much like my weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahahaha, thank goodenss for blogs to laugh at the chaos of the day later that night;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi, I live in IF, too, and I came here from marta's blog. I also have a toddling boy and I can honestly say that we've more days like this one than I'd care to admit. exactly like this one. nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad both you and the Little Guy enjoy the recipe! It's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs