Wednesday, September 16, 2009

i'm a liar

So, one of the (many) mistakes I have made as a mom so far is not introducing milk to my toddler in a sippy cup often enough while he was on the bottle. This means when we got rid of bottles, he refused to drink milk any other way. Which further means he doesn't drink milk. I know how important milk is for a growing body to be healthy so I tried all sorts of tricks to get him to drink milk from a cup.

None of those tricks worked until I pulled out my last trick. It like to call it stretching the truth, but in actuality it is lying. Here's the deal, I noticed that if I said "drink your milk" he wouldn't even try what was in the cup. After talking to my mom about the situation, I took her advice and went out and got some flavored milk. She is a genius and thought that maybe if it didn't taste like milk, he would drink it and we could all be happy because he was getting his calcium and all that good stuff.

I first tried chocolate milk, thinking he would LOVE the stuff because of the young chocoholic that he has already become. I was wrong. But that's because I accidentally called it chocolate milk in front of him. Then I got the strawberry milk and decided it was time to pull out the big guns. I gave it to him and said, "here, try this yummy juice." The result? He guzzled it.

I realize that I am lying to the little guy each morning when I hand him his milk and say "drink your juice". But sometimes a mom has got to do, what a mom has got to do. If ya know what I'm sayin'. Hopefully one day I will be able to tell him the truth, he won't care and will continue drinking his milk and we will be a happy family.

3 comments:

  1. i've said my share of while lies trying to get my oldest to eat food. it's true...we have to do what we have to do.

    glad the strawberry milk is working. my friend did the same thing and gradually added white milk to the flavored milk until it was almost all white milk. her kid soon drank straight white milk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's for his own good. He will thank you when he is 6 feet tall with the strongest bones in the school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... So I guess maybe I should be introducing milk in a sippy cup soon... I never thought of that. Thanks for the idea, but I wouldn't worry about the white lie.. he needs that yummy milk.. i mean juice!

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs