Monday, June 22, 2009

Sponsor-a-mile


I was first introduced to the Strong's when they contacted me wanting a new blog design. At that point I had no idea what sort of an impact this special family would have on my life. 

I soon found out that their daughter, Gwendolyn, had been diagnosed with Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) at just 6 months. After doing some research on their blog, I found out that SMA is the #1 genetic infant killer. I also noticed that they had started a petition in support of the SMA Treatment Acceleration Act, which if passed will end SMA.  (Please sign it!)

What made this story hit close to home was the fact that their little Gwendolyn was just 2 days younger than my Little Guy.  The strength that Victoria and Bill Strong have amazes me.  They are striving to find an end to this disease, with little hope that it will help their own daughter, but knowing it will prevent other parents from going through what they have.

Gwendolyn is a sweetheart.  I love reading their blog each day, it is truly inspiring and gives me hope knowing that there are good people out there in the world striving to do some good!

I write this post to let you know about their latest effort to end SMA.  They are traveling across the country in an RV to visit Gwendolyn's 104 year old great-grandpa.  To hear the story about how this came about, go here.  They are asking us to sponsor a mile along the way.  It is just $10 per mile, but you can donate as much as you would like.  All of the proceeds will go to the Gwendolyn Strong Foundation to help research, awareness and support for SMA.

I have been following them on Twitter and reading their blog posts throughout their trip.  They just left, so it isn't too late to get caught up!  

Also, be sure to watch this news report.  It does a much better job explaining than I did! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs