Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My Journal


Growing up, I was an avid journal writer. I wrote just about every day between 4th grade and 7th grade and at least once a week from then on. I am now so very grateful I did. It has provided great entertainment for my husband and I as we read about my 7th grade crush, the various arguments I got into with my siblings, or the first day I met my husband.

I stopped writing in my journal about 2 years ago. As I started to blog more and more, my journal entries became less and less. I found my journal a week and a half ago and realized my last entry was when I was still pregnant with Little Guy.

This means I never even wrote about my labor and delivery, or how I felt those first weeks we had Little Guy home. I didn't write about my grandpa passing away, how much I missed him and loved him, or his beautiful funeral where I was able to see all of my cousins and aunts and uncles. I didn't write about my family moving to a completely different state and how much I missed them. I didn't write about finishing up my last semester at college, or the fact that I worked at a company that required me to work 12 hour days, and occasionally even 16 hour days when I was 9 months pregnant. I didn't write about Little Guys first word, or first step, or first birthday.

Sure, all of these things were recorded on my family blog, which is great, but if we are being honest -- it's not the same. I now wish I had taken the time to write in my journal, even if it were just once a month. I miss being able to look back and see how I truly felt during all of those big important things and even the small non-exciting things.

It wasn't until I read Marta's blog post on handwriting that I was finally inspired to write in my journal once again. I have man handwriting and haven't ever loved to look at it. However, after reading her post I was convinced that it didn't matter how pretty it was, the important part was that it was mine and only mine!

Not only that, but I feel that when something is written in the handwriting of the author, it not only makes it more authentic, but it makes it 100 times more personal for the reader. I am excited to start up journal writing once again, and I hope that my future self will find as much entertainment from it as my present self does from my past entries!

6 comments:

  1. loving this, hilary. so beautifully written, especially about your grandpa and family. that's the good stuff, right there! am glad to hear you are writing it all down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post! I have made excuses for myself in not journaling, that blogging is enough. But I want to look back and really be able to read my feelings on everything. Thanks for the inspiration...I feel like running to the store right now to buy a new journal. A clean slate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to post that from my account!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree. I am the same way. I was much better than I am now. It was a new years resolution - thanks for the inspiration to keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a sweet post. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am an avid journal writer as well. It is so true that journal writing gets a different, more sincere story than blog writing does. I love looking back on past journals and reflecting.

    I sure miss you, my friend! I hope you are having a wonderful time in my favorite state!

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs