Monday, March 30, 2009

Major Baggage

picture-7-1



Picture courtesy of organize.com

I have major baggage.


And I'm not talking about the kind that often refers to ones past.


I'm talking about the kind that separates the mothers from the non-mothers.


The kind that makes people look at you and wonder if you are feeling alright.


The kind that causes people to do crazy things like put hemorrhoid cream on their face.  Yes, I'm talking about the baggage that appears under ones eyes.



I have been blessed with many things in my life.  A healthy body, a wonderful husband, a hilarious Little Guy, etc.  However, I was not blessed with a good sleeper.

My Little Guy has always seemed to be immune to sleep.  It took him 9 months before he was sleeping through the night.  He never did stay consistent though.  It lasted for a couple of months and then he went through a spurt where he was waking up 3 or 4 times a night again.  This has been a regular pattern around here.

The only thing that has kept me sane through it all is the fact that he takes awesome naps.  Two two-hour naps a day.  Up until lately.  We are down to one nap a day folks.

So, combine month after month (up to 18 of them to be exact) of interrupted sleep and you get major baggage.  I have tried several things to get rid of them: frozen spoons, cucumbers, hemorrhoid cream*, concealer, etc.

Nothing seems to work.

I have decided that I just need to come to terms with the fact that I will probably have baggage for the rest of my mothering life.

Here is my reasoning: once Little Guy finally starts sleeping through the night we will have another one come along and keep me up.  This pattern will go on for a good 10 years or so.  Then there is the period of "bad dreams" that one must go through with each child.  And once my Little Guy becomes a teenager we all know that there will be no more sleeping for me until the last one is out of the house.

And even after that it's not guaranteed I will get any sleep.  All sorts of things will then come into play, such as me worrying about their well-being or even menopause.

Ugh.

I feel much better now that you know more about me, and the fact that I do come with major baggage.

*Don't believe me about the hemorrhoid cream?  Well I tried it.  Yep.  And guess what?  It doesn't work.  But boy was it fun having to purchase the stuff.  The cashier looked at me and sort of winced in pain as they scanned it and placed it in the plastic bag.  Enough about hemorrhoids, even though it will be fun to see what sort of things show up on my google ads after mentioning them.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see another absolutely hilariously real story. Sorry for the baggage issue your having I wish I could help out. I did hear something you might try. I hear that sleeping on your back and on a higher pillow makes that extfa blood flow decrease and will help minimize it. I wasn't all sure in the start of your story were you would end up but it was such a good laugh. Not at you but I just love how you put things..... Cheers to more rest and all us moms who will never have much of it again:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh hil! You do NOT have bags under your eyes. Seriously. an dI have a picture to prove it.

    My heart is breaking for you that he's down to one nap. That is THE saddest day in a young mother's life I think. That, and probably sending them off to kindergarten.

    I hope you get him back on two naps. Hopefully he is just teasing you.

    GOOD LUCK! it was so nice seeing you. I have some really cute pictures of you and your little man I will e-mail you.

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs