Friday, December 12, 2008

The Cool Kid in Class

The other day my husband came home from work and informed me that his class (he is currently in grad school) was going to have a potluck for their last day.  First of all... this is a graduate program we are talking about and they are having a potluck party.  I thought all of that ended in High School, and even that was a stretch!  Oh well.  I was just jealous.

I planned on making my famous chocolate chip cookies until he requested the Chocolate Caramel Bars (a.k.a Carmelitas in our household).  I couldn't have agreed more with him.  These things are deadly.  I am just warning you now.  They have got to be the most fattening, yet the most delicious treat out there.  I knew that if I made these for him to take he would be the coolest kid in class.  What wife doesn't want their husband to be the cool kid in class anyway?

Long story short, I made them and they were a hit.  However, we still had a half a pan left (he only has like 15 kids er... adults in his class) so needless to say I have been indulging way too much, and all too often.  Oh well.  Tis the season right?

Here is the recipe to these delightfully delicious, awesomely amazing, totally tubular, perfectly palatable... ok, you get the idea... Caramelitas.  I give this to you so that your kid (or like in my case, husband) can be the coolest kid in class, or YOU could be the coolest one at the party.  Either way, it's a win/win situation folks.

Caramelitas



  • 1 1/2 cups flour

  • 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats

  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar

  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

  • 1 jar Mrs. Richardsons Butterscotch Caramel sauce (ESSENTIAL!!)

  • 1 package milk chocolate chips (I use Guittard... they only happen to be the best chocolate chips out there)


In large bowl combine first 6 ingredients to form a crumbly mixture.  Sprinkle half of crumbly mixture into a greased 9x13-inch pan.  (I smash mine down lightly to make sure there aren't any holes... this is completely optional.)  Bake at 350*F for 10 to 15 minutes.  Sprinkle chocolate chips over baked mixture and top with melted caramel mixture.  Sprinkle remaining crumbly mixture on top.  Bake at 350*F for 15 minutes.  Make a day ahead or several hours ahead to allow time for caramel to set.  Makes 2 dozen bars.

YUM!  I think I will go eat one right now.  I hope you enjoy!

img_2180

This picture really doesn't do things things justice. Ah, if only I had a decent camera and amazing Photoshop skills. Oh well. Take a look at this guy... doesn't he look so ooey, gooey and yummy? He is just begging me to eat him. He doesn't have to ask me twice!
img_2174

3 comments:

  1. I am not a caramel fan (I have texture issues with food...) but even I think I would like these. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny that they have potlucks- tyler's class did the same thing a few times for lunch. everyone would bring something... funny that i was the one that ended up making the food, not him! isn't that how it always is? for thanksgiving, the clinic he's doing his 1st rotation at was also having a potluck. he had to leave by 8 AM the next morning and that night around 11 PM, i said, "i hate to burst your bubble, but don't you have to make sweet potatoes and apples for tomorrow?" (they take like an hour just to cook). he looked at me and said, "i thought you were making them." UGH! i was nice and helped him chop apples and sweet potatoes until 11:30 and we cooked them the following morning. what a punk! those treats look delish by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ummm...those look divine. I made sandwiches for my husband's thesis defense potluck so no...graduate school doesn't seem to make you any more adult.

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs