Wednesday, November 19, 2008

To die for...

Hilary (what a great name..) requested that I give her the recipe to the cake that I am holding over on the right.  I figured that I should just share it with everyone because it is absolutely amazing, and because it just isn't fair to make you stare at it the whole time you read my blog without being able to eat it!  If you are an Oreo fan, you will love it.  If you aren't an Oreo fan, you will still love it.  I made this cake and my Reese's cake (maybe I'll post that one later) all the time our first year of marriage.  I just might have to make it again since it has been a while!  Alrighty, here you go.  Enjoy your little piece of heaven.

Chocolate-Covered OREO Cookie Cake

What You Need:







1 pkg. (2-layer size) devil's food chocolate cake mix







4 squares  BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate







1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter







1 pkg.  (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened







1/2 cup sugar







2 cups  thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping







12 OREO Cookies, coarsely crushed





Make it, Eat it, Love it:






HEAT oven to 350°F. Prepare cake batter and bake in 2 (9-inch) round cake layers as directed on package. Cool in pans 10 min. Invert cakes onto wire racks; gently remove pans. Cool cakes completely.

MICROWAVE chocolate and butter in small microwaveable bowl on HIGH 2 min. or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Cool 5 min.

MEANWHILE, beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl with mixer until blended. Gently stir in COOL WHIP and crushed cookies. Stack cake layers on plate, spreading cream cheese mixture between layers. Spread top with chocolate glaze. Let stand until firm. Keep refrigerated.



I realize this is the most attractive picture I have ever posted of myself (other than the "quirks" one).  Notice how in my early days of cake making I didn't have round cake pans.  We ate a square Oreo instead.  Good thing it tasted the same! Also, I think one time I used chocolate frosting instead of the glaze and it was pretty darn good as well!




6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I LOVE OREOS!!! Thanks for posting this recipe! I am very anxious to try this one out!!! Looks amazingly DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! It sounds amazing. I bet Jason would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always thought that cake looked fantastic. Now that I'm such a baker (wink) I'll have to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much! This is great. I am going to make it for my Grandpa's and my Birthday this Sunday! Wohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh thank you! It has been cruel to come to your web site and bump my head on the screen every time I try and take a bite out of your cake. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So Josh was looking over my shoulder and now I'm pretty much required to make this. I have a hunch it won't be quite as pretty though. Luckily for me Josh could care less about aesthetics.

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs