Sunday, November 16, 2008

Nioxin

I first heard about Nioxin when I was in college.  My roommates were the ones to introduce me to this so called "miracle" pill.  It claimed to make your hair, skin and nails healthier.  I got sucked in to buying a bottle and I continued buying it off and on until I got married.  By then, I could no longer really justify spending $30 each month on a bottle of beautifying pills.  I was happy to discover the prenatal vitamins that I got free from my work were even better than Nioxin.

I didn't hear anything more about Nioxin until one weekend while visiting home.  I saw two large bottles of Nioxin Shampoo and Conditioner on the counter.  I asked my mom where she had gotten them and she told me that her friend who worked at a salon had recommended them for her.  I tried it while I was there, and fell in love.

In April of 2007 (the date will be important to know later on), I finally purchased myself two huge bottles of Nioxin, one shampoo and one conditioner (after many months of talking myself out of it).  I had a really hard time making the purchase, seeing how it was $50 for the both of them (they were 33 oz bottles).  I was used to buying Dove, which is like $8 for both of them.  But, my husband convinced me and told me I could count it as an "early birthday present".

I can't tell you how amazing this stuff is.  It claims to make your hair thicker (which it definitely did for mine) and it also deep cleans your scalp with an amazing minty tingle.  This last January I cut my hair to above my shoulders (which is a big thing for me because I have always had long hair).  I loved the change, but wanted my long hair back.  So, I began growing it out right away.  I am still shocked at how fast it has grown!  I really think it is because of my Nioxin shampoo (however, the prenatal vitamins don't hurt I'm sure).  I have also noticed a BIG improvement with my hair texture.  I have naturally curly hair so my hair goes through a lot of products when it is left curly and heat styling to get it straight.  It used to have sort of a coarse texture to it from the all the ciaos.  It is now silky and smooth!

Why am I writing this post?  It's NOT because I am getting paid (although, I wish I were).  Yesterday, I used the very last drop of my shampoo and conditioner.  That means that those bottles lasted me over a year and a half!  I am sad that it is gone, and I am going back to my Dove (which happens to be my all time favorite non-salon priced shampoo and conditioner).  The reason for going back to Dove and not making that amazing purchase once again is because my sweet husband bought me a huge set of shampoo and conditioner from Costco about a year ago.  He figured my Nioxin would be out soon and thought that I would need some new stuff.  Little did we know it was going to last a whole other year!!

I write this post for your benefit. I love sharing the things I find that I absolutely love. However, if you don't have the buko bucks to spend on shampoo and conditioner (like me) Dove is a wonderful alternative. And that's my plug for the day.

9 comments:

  1. I LOVE that shampoo- I too used it in college and thought it was the best thing ever! Maybe somehow we can get a "hookup" and get more....or maybe they sell it on Ebay?.... Oh you remind me how much I really do love Nioxin. Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of it before, I might have to give it a shot! Where do you buy it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. At any hair salon, or beauty supply shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I am going to buy it...if I can talk Jason into it. (I did just buy him a new computer, so I should be able to use that as leverage.) Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! Great post! I remember how crazy Liz and I were about it! I even put it down as one of my medications on the back of my marathon bib:) But yes, it does work miracles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I use it. Yep, I love it. My mom gave me some after I had baby cakes. She lost a lot of her hair after having kiddos so she was giving me some precautionary help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. David LOVES this shampoo, it really helped with his thinning hair. We actually got it for a wedding gift! But right now we can't seem to justify the $50. And he claims to be coming to grips with his thinning hair, but I think he is just trying to make himself feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found a solution to our problem! I was getting my haircut last night and my girl told me that there is this vitamin called biotin that grows and strengthens hair and nails and it works really well! At a measly 10 bucks a bottle, who could resist that!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I get the recipe for the cake that you are holding in that picture at the top of your blog?

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs