Sunday, June 15, 2008

I married a pie guy.

When I received my cake decorating kit I immediately started searching for an excuse to make a cake. I pulled up my calender on my desktop to see what holiday was the closest. The first one I saw was Flag Day... I thought that might be a stretch but kept it in mind in case nothing else came about. Then I looked just a couple of days further down the calender and found the perfect day to feed my cake decorating appetite. Father's Day. It was perfect.

I searched the web for days to find the perfect cake. I came across all sorts of golf cakes, remote control cakes, recliner cakes...(pretty stereo-typical right?). Well there also happened to be a ton of shirt and tie cakes and when I stumbled upon a certain one, that was just a tie all by itself, I had an excellent idea. I had bought my husband a tie for Father's Day and thought it would be fun to decorate the cake to look exactly like that tie. I know, I know, I'm a genius right?

I planned things all out a couple of days in advance. I even searched for "the best chocolate cake recipe" and found one (thanks to my mom)! Finally, Father's Day had arrived. I woke up a little early and decided that I was too excited to sleep (well, that and my 8 month old son decided he didn't want to sleep anymore either... I really didn't have a choice..) so I started gathering the ingredients for my perfect cake. As I was doing this, I asked my husband what kind of frosting he wanted on his cake. He didn't sound too enthused and so I asked him if he wanted something other than cake. It was then that I remembered something that I always seem to forget. I married a pie guy.

My husband loves pie. This would be completely fine if I were a pie girl. However, I am a cake girl and I am horrible at making pies. When we were dating, my husband told me that his family never had cake on their birthdays, they always had pie. I honestly had the hardest time imagining that anyone would rather have a piece of pie on their birthday than a big ol' slab of warm chocolate cake with a big scoop of ice cream melting on the side. I have tried to secretly convert him to the dark side, but he still loves his pies... and I love him!

So, I decided that I needed to put my selfish desires of decorating a cake aside and attempt to make a pie. I knew it wasn't going to be nearly as good as my cake would be, especially since I was going to have to use a ready-made Pillsbury pie shell (which is close to a carnal sin in my husband's household.. with good reason!). Despite my lack of experience in making pies, I did it. I made a "Lumpy Chocolate Cream Pie". What was the lumpy part you ask? Flour. Yep. I make lumpy pies. My poor pie loving husband.

2 comments:

  1. Jason used to be a pie-guy too. It kind of freaked me out when he told me that his mom made him a chocolate pie for his birthday every year. Luckily, I have broken Jason of that tradition and he prefers chocolate cake now. :)

    You should still make your cake cause I want to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cake is my affinity, too! I am a chocolate cake connoisouir and Kyle hates desserts. Oh well, more cake for the rest of us. BTW-- I have a great chocolate eclair pie recipe. Super easy-- the crust is amazing and it's a good compromise for a cake lovin' girl like yourself!

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs