Tuesday, May 6, 2008

1986

I have had what you might call blogger's block this last week.  It is very similar to the writer's block I used to get the night before my English assignment that was assigned at the beginning of the semester was due.  Nothing huge or exciting has happened in my life.  We did get some bikes about a week ago, but the weather has been too crummy to use them. 

I thought that since I didn't have anything else to blog about, that I would take a look back to the year 1986 (the year I was born) to see what has changed in the last 22 years.  With my birthday coming up in a week or so, I thought this might be fun!

1986

  • U.S. President - Ronald Reagan


In the news:

  •    -It was declared the International Year of Peace by the United Nations

  •    -The first federal Martin Luther King Jr Day, honoring Martin Luther King Jr, was  

  •      observed.

  •    -The Halley Comet makes it's second trip, in the 20th century, to the solar system.

  • Space shuttle Challenger disintegrated 73 seconds after launch, killing it's crew of 7 astronauts.

  • An earthquake measuring 7.5 on the Richter Scale hit San Salvador, El Salvador, killing an estimated 1,500 people.

  • The centennial of the Statue of Liberty's dedication is celebrated.


Movies:

  • -"Top Gun", "Crocodile Dundee", "Aliens", and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"


Music:

  • -"Walk like an Egyptian" by the Bangles, "Walk this Way" by Aerosmith and Run DMC, "Take my Breath Away" by Berlin, "Lady in Red" by Chris de Burgh, "Danger Zone" by     Kenny Loggins, and "Papa Don't Preach" by Madonna


 

 

T.V. Shows:

  • "The Cosby Show", "Growing Pains", "Who's the Boss?", "Punky Brewster", "Fraggle Rock", "Smurfs", "Cheers", and "MacGyver"


 

 

 

Sports:

  • Mike Tyson won his first world boxing tournament; New York Mets defeated the Boston Red Sox in 7 games winning the World Series; the Chicago Bears defeat the New England Patriots 46-10 in Super Bowl XX held at Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans.


Births:

  • -Shia LaBeouf, Kellie Pickler, Lindsay Lohan, Amanda Bynes, Charlotte Church, Stacy Orrico, and ME!


 

 

 

And if you can believe it...

  • National Average for a gallon of gasoline - $0.82

1 comment:

  1. 1986? Are you that much younger than me? I would never have guessed it! ;)

    When I first started my personal blog, I didn't post very often for the same reason. I couldn't think of anything worthwhile to talk about. Now, I still don't really talk about anything worthwhile, but I somehow find things to post about. (And my life is anything but exciting.)

    I have a lot of friends who ask probing questions on their blogs, and I sometimes use those when I can't think of anything to write. Almost all my friends did a "Ask me anything you want and I will answer it in my next post." Those have been some of my favorite blog posts to read.

    I love your blog, Hilary! It is fun to get to know you better and I am always excited to read about you when you update!

    Whoa. That was a long comment! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs