Saturday, April 12, 2008

I need a hobby.

You would think that it should be simple to get one, right? I have been searching for a hobby for quite some time now and have found many that I would love to get into. The only problem is...they all require certain things that I don't happen to have at the moment! Below is a list of some of these hobbies that I would love to have:

1. Photography. I have always wanted to be a photographer. When people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up I would reply with "a mom" but if they absolutely insisted on knowing what vocation I wanted to have, I would tell them about my dreams to be a photographer. I even considered majoring in photography in college but chickened out due to the fact that I didn't have enough confidence in my photography skills.

The problem with photography (like all of my hobbies that I would love to have) is that it is expensive. Not only do you have to own a decent camera (such as the one on the left) which can cost hundreds, sometimes thousands, of dollars but you also have to have all of the different lenses and attachments that go along with it. You would also need to have a decent photo editing program such as Adobe Photoshop which is something like five hundred some-odd dollars. If that doesn't seem to be too big of a deal, there is always the cost of classes to learn how to use your new camera and all of it's attachments plus a class to teach you how to use photoshop. So, as you can see it would cost me thousands to take up the hobby of photography. I think I will just settle with the less expensive version and continue to take less professional looking pictures on my less expensive and less exciting camera. It's just a good thing I have such a cute little boy so people don't pay much attention to the quality of the photo!

2. Scrapbooking. The cost of supplies is an obvious one on this one. I love how a hand-made scrapbook looks, but it costs about three times as much as a photobook from Blurb.com.

3. Cake decorating. One of my favorite shows is "Ace of Cakes" on Food Network I'm not sure that this one is necessarily expensive in and of itself. However, the class that I would have to take to learn how to do it properly is the set back here. I think they are pretty affordable, it is just having the time to go to these classes. I have opted to teaching myself using a few online sources. It hasn't proven to be that effective, but if I get better I might just get brave enough to take a picture of my creation with my non-professional skills and camera. :) Until then, take a look at these:


I guess until I am able to save-up for my desired hobbies, I will just have to work with what I have and I am just fine and dandy with that.

4 comments:

  1. I hear you on the expense. I too have a dream of being a photographer, and forked out the bucks to own the Digital Rebel...which is a lower end SLR. I still love it though. I have wanted it for years and years and had to save up for a while by doing extra jobs here and there. It is fun, but is sure not cheap. I still sometimes feel guilty about buying it. I think you do a fantastic job with your camera, though!! I can tell you would be a great photographer.

    I can't wait to see your cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new "blog" and look forward to hearing a lot more about whatever you are thinking!! I too (sounds familiar right) got a nice camera...but it is so hard to find time to go take pictures...and the best pictures are always the ones you weren't planning on taking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hil,

    I have taken most of the cake decorating courses! They are awesome and although the classes aren't expensive the supplies are outrageously expensive once you add them all up. I love this hobby and I have gotten pretty good thanks to the classes, but just to forwarn you the supplies add up quick!!! I had no idea when I got into it how much money I would be spending. Good luck though! You'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] made this post about a year ago about how I needed a hobby.  I am happy to say that I have attempted all three [...]

    ReplyDelete

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Designs